You’ve taken the plunge and “hung up your shingle” so to speak. You’re officially a small business owner – an entrepreneur. Next step – getting customers and making money. As CEO & Co-founder of Just Between Friends Franchise Systems, Inc. I have the honor of working with so many successful and talented entrepreneurs who run a JBF franchise. I reached out to one of the top franchisees – Tracy Panase – who owns three successful JBF franchises in Pennsylvania and has experienced tremendous growth in a short period of time. . Here are Tracy’s “Top Six Tips for Getting on the Fast Track”.
(And I couldn’t agree more)
- Know what you don’t know – As a business owner, it is easy to want to do everything…but I am personally not good at everything! By playing to my strengths and delegating my weaker areas to someone better suited for the task, I am better able to manage my "genius time”.
- Stick to the basics – There really is no substitute for good customer service. Even in today’s age of technology, an old-fashioned handwritten thank you note or phone call can go a LONG way. Follow up and follow through are critical in my book.
- The early bird catches the worm – No one remembers the person who comes in second. Being first to market is key when you are swimming in a sea full of competitors. Find your niche and own it. Maybe someone else has already done what you are doing – look for what you can do differently and do it better than your competition. At JBF, our customer service and safety policies set us apart from our competitors.
- Invest in marketing & don’t be afraid to take chances – Look for creative ways to promote. I was the first consignment event in my region to tap into the power of “Mommy Bloggers” I invested marketing dollars to work with a local expert who pulled in dozens of influential bloggers. We hosted a blogger shopping event and in return our reach was tremendous and our sales grew exponentially. It catapulted me to the next level in my sale. I took a chance and the ROI made it all worth it.
- Listen – You really will learn a lot more with your ears open and mouth shut. Everyone has a story to tell and so much can be learned by just taking it all in. If you listen intently, others tend to trust you and share information that can ultimately help your business. It is good to fly under the radar from time to time.
- Learn from the best – If you want to be the best in your field, interview the movers and shakers. Find out what they are doing and how you can emulate their success. Invest the time and effort into following those who are leading the way.
Shannon Wilburn is the CEO & Co-founder of Just Between Friends Franchise Systems, Inc. (JBF), North America’s leading children’s & maternity consignment event. JBF has 150 franchises in 28 states and Canada. JBF is actively seeking franchisees throughout North America. Click here to learn more.